Sunday, August 16, 2026

Gosh it's HOT!

You know this, it's been damn hot, and it is no matter where you travel. So in my retirement (and maybe before) I have worn shorts whenever and are allowed, which mostly everywhere we go. Well, except into so religious places overseas. Once I had to wrap a skirt around myself to go in a holy place. I was not the only guy or girl that had to do that. I guess they were prepared for Americans. We each just looked around at each other and shrugged our shoulders. 

Anyway, I wear shorts all the time. Did you know that in 1936 in Yonkers NY, they had a LAW saying "NO ONE CAN WEAR SHORTS IN PUBLIC". And the law was enforced with a $150 fine and possible jail time. How crazy is that? The law lasted only a couple years. 

So trying to get out of the heat for a week or so, we flew to Tennessee to visit so friends and a cousin of mine. Guess what? It was hot there too. Not AS BAD as Phoenix, but hot.

We visited so real awesome places like Oak Ridge and the place featured in  the movie 'Oppenheimer'. It is called K-25 and the place the first nuclear bomb was created. A huge 400 acre area in the middle of and close to a very small town. The government cleared off many acres just the build this and disassembled it immediately after the war.



The concrete in the background is where the huge building stood. After that, we toured the museum which was mind blowing. Actual artifacts and reproductions of objects they used, but never knew what they were building. Everyone who was hired lived there and could not leave. Everything they would need was in this government made city, food, hospital, gas station, schools, housing, swimming pools, activities, everything. No one knew what others did, even the scientists working on the actual bomb. The museum held more information than my little brain could comprehend, but so cool. This to follow up our trip to Los Alamos New Mexico a few weeks before.

Just before we visited with my cousin, we went to the Eastern Tennessee History Museum in downtown Knoxville. Since my ancestors came from Tennessee while it was part of North Carolina (1750s), I thought it would be a neat place to do a little research and kill some time. Again, a very cool place it you like history. One exhibit that brought back memories from my teenager years was an old drug store very much like the one I worked at through my high school years, Bernhardt's.  I think I started at 75 cents an hour and when I left I was making $1.50. The big bucks. Of course that was in the mid-60s. Gosh I am old. 

Didn't I start this blog complaining about the heat in Arizona? Well, it was not AS hot there but still hot so we flew home.

A great trip to see friends and a relative. Over all, good time. But I wore shorts the whole time, and I usually do anyway. Take care, stay safe and stay cool. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment